Thanks, Brad; I'm glad to know that info.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Brad Jacobs
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No sightings- Ebird

Bryan and MOBIRDers.
Bryan asked a great question that is being asked more and more by scientists
and birders. eBird is really an amazing source for scientists but it has had
its issues with folks that don't think it has any value due to a "lack" of
rigor involved in gathering the data.  Setting the idea of bad data in give
bad data out, from early complaints about birder generated data in general,
we can look to the range of rigors from other birder and science based bird
databases. The Christmas Bird Counts, Breeding Bird Atlases, Breeding Bird
Surveys, North American Migration Counts, CACHE/SPARKS, etc., are all based
on some assumptions that give clues to the use of the data. The birding
competition part is like food at a public meeting. Competitive birding is
just one of the enjoyments for part of the birding world.

There is a pdf that talks about the use of eBird and Partners in Flight.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja
&uact=8&ved=0CE0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pitt.edu%2F~sdonovan%2Flab%2Fprod
ucts%2FCornell.pdf&ei=fMmlU4WSD4WoyASMqIKICA&usg=AFQjCNHNAzpMrD5qnWenEynye3j
SGyT2TA&sig2=8G41pOaa3j74yJLWOn8sBw

A recent example for conservation use:
Within the national Partners in Flight Steering (www.partnersinflight.org)
Committee and Science Team the eBird data that are generated worldwide by
birders are in fact an amazing almost instantaneous check on current
bird-status-condition indicators worldwide that can be analyzed for use by
conservation partners. One recent example: Ken Rosenberg presented the most
recent Occurrence Maps generated from eBird birder-source data at the Snow
Bird, Utah Partners in Flight V international Bird Conservation Plans
workshop. He was able to show the migration patterns of several western bird
species during the spring migration and fall migration which clearly showed
that most of the records for Townsend's Warbler were on BLM land during
spring migration and on USFS land during fall migrations. This allows
federal land management agencies to know they are stewards of certain
species during certain times of year, and they are responsible for
considering the needs for that species during the time of year.

The list of conservation uses is getting longer as more folks discover the
vastness of the data and the global applications to documenting the effects
of management, illegal hunting, land use changes and global climate change.

One thing that eBird, CACHE and SPARKS have offered is defined methodologies
for birders to make their birding trip lists useful. The old way was to
leave a short list of birds seen on a conservation area, sometimes with a
date and name of the observer. Now there is a world wide data-collection and
analysis process that is available on eBird with the support of a large
university and its partners.

As with all of the uses for bird data, the source of the data and the biases
that come along with that are always suspect. Science is plagued with this
problem and has developed ways to handle bias through statistical analysis,
data use restrictions, and observer training.  As Ryan or Josh said, no data
are ever thrown out of eBird, but a lot of data do not get used in the
analysis because of observer biases and data provided that don't meet the
analysis requirements.

CACHE, SPARKS, and eBird all have been evolving as more is learned about how
to analyze the data and the advent of new uses and needs. eBird is dependent
on all its sources to use a compatible format.

Brad

Brad Jacobs
Missouri Department of Conservation
P.O. Box 180