Greetings,

It would appear that the Least Bittern (or possibly different bird than) observed earlier on May 25 at Binder Lake in Jefferson City, MO, Cole Co. may be settling in for the summer breeding season as it was still present yesterday morning, Sunday, 6/8/14. The bird was softly calling from within the stand of cattails on the north side of Rainbow Dr. nearest the entrance to the Binder Lake Campgrounds/metal tower.

Also present at Binder's shorebird wetland (North of lake) was a lingering Blue-winged Teal quite capable of flight and a trio of Green Herons picking through the shallows.

In other parts of Cole County, Grasshopper Sparrows are scattered about in large fields of grasses that aren't being cut for hay. Henslow's Sparrows continue in the field along Rainbow Drive located between Gardens To Go nursery and Henwick Ln. This is a busy road; so use caution if going to listen/look for this species.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: September 26-28, 2014 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park Details and Online Registration