Destination: Ozark Caverns, Lake of the Ozarks State Park, 823 Ozark Caverns Road, Linn Creek, MO

Departure Point: AC Commuter Parking Lot

Leader: Allison Vaughan

Contact Phone: (573) 703-6448

In August 2013, the Missouri Bird Conservation Initiative awarded Ozark Caverns a grant for small brush removal in an upland flatwoods in the park. CAS partnered with MoDNR on the grant, and in October 2013 visited Ozark Caverns before the thinning work was slated to begin to make a list of all of the birds seen or heard in the area. On that visit, we hiked through an area that had been restored in the mid-1990s to compare to the new restoration area. The thinning work will be completed at Ozark Caverns in April. CAS will revisit the site to document bird use in the area following the thinning project.

We’ll carpool from the AC Commuter Parking Lot at 7:30 a.m. The lot is located just south-east of Highway 63 at the AC/Grindstone Parkway/New Haven Road exit. If you’re not joining the carpool, meet at the Ozark Caverns Visitor’s Center off of “A Road” at 9:30 a.m. After the trip we’ll have lunch at the Seven Springs Winery in Linn Creek.

Kevin Wehner
CAS Field Trip Chair
Columbia, Mo.