I rode my bike out to Columbia Wetland Unit #4 this morning.  That is the first of two wetland cells you encounter when biking the MKT Trail from Columbia to McBaine.

I was surprised to find at least 60 shorebirds in the middle pool of the area which is a mix of mud and low water.  Most of the shorebirds were at the far end of the pool but closer in were a nice mix of Yellowlegs, Pectoral, Least, and Semipalmated sandpipers as well as two Wilson's Phalaropes (spinning round and round) and a Dunlin.  I was particularly happy about the Dunlin as I had not seen one yet this year.

Two Black Terns were working the area.  I also heard a Common Gallinule call twice from the reeds around the observation deck.  I was hoping to see that bird but he refused to show himself.

Cheers,
Greg Leonard
Columbia, Boone County