Nancy Leo, Helen Hewins and I birded Weston State Park this Saturday morning, May 17.  We started at the overlook before walking the 3-mile loop trail.  After noon I walked the Bluff Trail and the River Trail.

I had 19 species of warblers total which included:

1 each of Golden-winged, Chestnut-sided, Yellow-throated, Chat (heard only) and Mourning on the loop trail, when the three of us were together,
1 Blackburnian on the Bluff Trail,
At least 5 Prothonotary Warblers easy to spot at the picnic grounds and along the trail where the paved road ends near the rail tracks,
Numerous Am Redstarts and Yellow Warblers were present.  On the Bluff Trail one of these was heard at any given time on virtually the entire walk.
The warbler list was filled out with Ovenbird, Louisiana Waterthrush, Black-and-White, Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Kentucky, Common Yellowthroat (River Trail), Northern Parula and Blackpoll.

Pileated Woodpecker was seen entering and leaving a nest cavity,
Six Vireo species were seen including White-eyed, Blue-headed and one Philadelphia on the Bluff Trail,
Both Summer and Scarlet Tanager were present including two Scarlet pairs.

It was a very pleasant day to be out.  The woods were a bit quiet but we pulled out a lot of good birds.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County, KS