I responded privately to Andy but maybe before this gets more confusing it
would be good to provide an explanation to all.  I do not represent the MBRC
nor eBird but I think I have a pretty good handle on how this all works.

CACHE and SPARKS were built with only one filter - the MBRC review list.
Any species  that is on that review list will have an asterisk and a place
for a comment.  The only relationship to eBird is that some species which
may be flagged in CACHE or SPARKS will pass through the upload to eBird and
its more sophisticated filters with no questions asked.  On the other hand,
some species which pass through CACHE/SPARKS may be flagged in eBird,
especially for high counts.

When a species is flagged as a review species, it automatically goes to Mike
Thelen's list for review.  Mike has a good feel for distribution in Missouri
and consults with Bill Rowe if something is questionable. He can often just
accept a record and move on.  For instance, Eurasian Tree Sparrow is a
review species away from St. Louis and the river, but Mike knows that and
I'm fairly certain isn't expecting details on every report from the expected
area.  The same holds true for Prairie Warbler outside of the northern third
of the state.  To effectively provide the most beneficial information,
birders may want to keep a copy of the review list handy -
<http://mobirds.org/RecordsCommittee/ReviewList.aspx>
http://mobirds.org/RecordsCommittee/ReviewList.aspx.  Note that Black
Vulture needs details only in the north.  That helps define the "as
necessary" part of the  details statement.  If you feel a need to always
fill in the blank, something as simple as "expected location" pretty much
fills the bill.

Hope this helps clear up any questions and confusion.

Ann Johnson