I have been keeping an eye to the sky at my home in Eureka (St. Louis County) since moving here 4 years ago in anticipation of getting a Black Vulture as a yard bird.  Considering they are annually seen near Lone Elk County Park/Castlewood SP, and are (in recent years) a regularly occurring species in southern Jefferson County - that hope is not to unexpected.  Well, after getting off work a little early, today is the closest I have personally observed them to my home, only about a mile or two away, at least as the Black Vulture flies, at Young CA (Jefferson County).

Two BLACK VULTURES were observed soaring incredibly high on the most northeastern end of Young CA.  Here is my eBird checklist which includes a horrible, but definitive photo: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17842785

Other than that, the other most interesting observation was a kettle of 13 FISH CROWS.  These birds were quite vocal and acting very similar to a kettle of raptors as they soared off toward the Meramec River, a behavior I have not before witnessed.  Lastly, at least 3 WHITE-EYED VIREOS were present (I had 2 last Sunday, just as Mark Wright also indicated), as well as multiple Northern Parulas and Yellow-throated Warblers.

I will be out in the backyard for the remainder of the evening with my kiddos and a cold beverage, fully expecting to see one of these Black Vultures fly in with the Turkey Vultures as they head into their evening roost near the Meremec.  Have a great weekend all.

Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Missouri Bird Records:  www.showme-birds.com