The St. Louis Audubon Society trip along Hwy 79 today had a highlight bird in a juvenile Golden Eagle although it took us a while to pin it down.  The bird was flying in B.K.Leach near the Norton Woods Access with a couple of immature Bald Eagles.   Upon seeing the white underparts in two distinct areas plus the mostly white tail we clumped it with the Bald Eagles at first, but with some misgivings by at least two in our group.  After all, who expects to see a Golden Eagle in St. Louis in the spring when the individual sightings are normally in late fall or early December.  Fortunately, Dick Palmer checked the field guides and our bird, with the white tail and deep black tail band at the end, and singular white patches about 2/3 of the way out the wings, perfectly matched the pictures in National Geo and Sibley.

Most of our birding was done at B.K.Leach.  We visited Winfield Lock and Dam as well but added nothing there to the day list.

Birds seen today:

Blackbird, Red wing
Bluebird, Eastern
Bufflehead - one pair
Cardinal, Northern
Chickadee, Black-capped
Coots, American - probably over 1000
Cormorant, Double-crested - many flocks
Cowbird, Brown-headed
Crow, American
Crow, Fish
Dove, Eurasian-Collard - seen by one car in Foley
Duck, Red-head
Duck, Ring-neck
Duck, Wood
Eagle, Bald - probably 20
Eagle, Golden - 1 juvenile
Flciker, Northern
Gadwall
Gnatcatcher, Blue-grey
Goose, Canada
Goose, Snow
Grebe, Pied-bill
Gull, Ring bill
Harrier, Northern
Hawk, Broad Wing - kettle of 10
Hawk, Coopers
Hawk, Red-tailed
Heron, Great Blue
Kestrel
Kingfisher, Belted
Lark, Horned
Mallard
Martin, Purple
Meadowlark, Eastern
Mergansers, hooded - single female plus one pair
Nuthatch, White-breasted
Pelican, American White
Pheobe, Eastern
Plover, American Golden - about 100