Midland Empire Audubon held a committee meeting yesterday evening to discuss this wind turbine project. In attendance was Ron Bell, Squaw Creek Manager, where he voiced the interactions he has had (and has not had) which the company involved with the proposed construction of the 100+ wind towers. There will be a write-up in our local paper outlining our concerns/questions regarding this issue. Letters will be sent to certain members of the state legislature in which we will express our concerns.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

________________________________
 From: Chris Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:51 AM
Subject: Squaw Creek - proposed wind turbine 'farm'

Apparently, the largest wind turbine project in MO is proposed just 3 miles from Squaw Creek NWR.  Migratory waterfowl, cranes, egrets, eagles, hawks, bats, etc. will be at risk with collisions.  Alternative energy is great, but the siting of these enormous bladed towers needs to be carefully considered.  This location seems like the worst possible place.  The project owners have applied for permits to ‘take’ Bald Eagles, which they anticipate a certain mortality rate.

Does the MDC and US Fish and Wildlife Service have influence or say-so in green-lighting this project?  Has ASM taken a position one way or the other?

Chris Hobbs
Lenexa, KS