On my home from Chicago, I spent an hour at Long Branch as a rest, birding, decompress-from-city, stop.  No surprises, except for realizing how very beautiful are the Franklinís Gulls.  Iíd never noticed their pink necks and breasts before.  I was able to identify no other gulls except Ring-billed.   I saw no ducks except for Lesser Scaups, but my visit was not thorough.  Meadowlarks have arrived in large numbers. A Black-capped Chickadee took umbrage at my stopping in the road and rushed at my open window.  I feared he would fly inside the car.   There are still a lot of Dark-eyed Juncos.  I looked for Field Sparrows, but didnít see/hear any.   Two unidentifiable grebes, not Pied-bill, were out of scope range. Full list on SPARKS.

June Newman
Carroll County