I found a large, mixed flock of shorebirds, almost all American
Golden-Plover, in flooded fields along MO-H Sunday afternoon.  This was
about 1/3 of the way from its intersection with MO-94 to Graus Lake.  The
flock was vocal and nervous, moving en masse from one end of the lake to the
other and back again.  Access to, and light on, the birds was not good.

American Golden-Plover, 1000
Pectoral Sandpiper, 60
Lesser Yellowlegs, 20
Wilson's Snipe, 5
Killdeer 4

Graus Lake hosted a handsome Horned Grebe in breeding plumage.

Elsewhere...

Shorebird habitat up at Clarence Cannon NWR in Pike Cnty was excellent.  The
pools I looked at were either flooded shallow, a mix of standing water and
exposed mud, or wet mud.  But the only shorebirds I saw were 1 Greater
Yellowlegs and a few Killdeer.  However, there was a sizable flock of
dabbling ducks to look thru which included 3 American Wigeon.  Only a few
passerines, though, but there were 2 Brown Thrasher, 1 singing.  3 Bald
Eagle, 4 Northern Harrier, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 2 Red-tailed Hawk.  12
sad-looking Snow Goose remain; they could only waddle away from me to safety
in the middle of a wet field.  Perhaps all sick or injured, but sticking
together.

Sandy Slough at Winfield is flooded; no shorebird habitat or shorebirds.
Few ducks either.  There were ~ 200 American White Pelican resting on an
island out in the middle of the Mississippi River.

6 Great Egret at Marais Temps Clair.

Heron Pond at Riverlands had a nice little variety of dabblers, like CCNWR,
but obviously much smaller numbers.  2 American Black Duck continue plus 1
American Wigeon.

At Portage Des Sioux, 1 Bonaparte's Gull and some gnarly-lookin' pelicans:

http://smu.gs/1qaV31s

73 species today for me, including 16 waterfowl.  Gadwall, Blue-winged Teal,
Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal and American Coot heavily represented
along my route.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO