More to the point, how could an intelligent man not acknowledge, or worse, realize the humanity of women.  And, if there is a certain "type" of woman, then there is a certain "type" of man.  I cannot help but think of Stevens, also living in an unhappy marriage, but the women in his works are real and often may be turned to for truth or enlightenment, i.e., She sang beyond the genius of the sea . . .