I may be forgiven for this intervention but sometimes what Eliot came by
(an object, a remark, a piece of conversation) possibly as "a matter of
fact" held for him, as he wrote somewhere, the value of a symbol. And he
used it as a symbol that carried the specific resonance he wished to assign
it. It is the larger context of his work, however, in which he placed the
"matter of fact" symbol that left no doubt about its specific resonance in
a work.
"Only / There is shadow under this red rock" definitely carries a
specific Christian resonance in The Waste Land.

Regards,
CR