On 4/2/2014 9:32 PM, CR Mittal wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
The Passage of Time in T.S. Eliot’s Four Quartets
By Pedro Blas Gonzalez, PhD, Professor of Philosophy

Exploring T.S. Eliot’s argument that “all time is unredeemable.” According to Eliot, time past and present are already contained in time future; therefore, time cannot be treated in abstraction but as the vital ground of human reality. In Four Quartets, Eliot is concerned with time as “lived experience.”

     I haven't followed the link to the rest of Prof. Gonzalez's article and notice this small excerpt only because it typifies what another readere of FQ calls the mistake of reading FQ as if they were "rational prose."  In Part II of Eric Voegelin's "Notes" on FQ, he summarizes what, in this respect, the Quartets are and what they aren't: "the interpenetration of form and subject matter needs the most careful attention. The Quartets are not a prose work and their medium is not rationale discourse....in spite of the periphrastic parts, the poems as a whole preserve, therefore, the lyrical level; they are, indeed, an incantation and do not become didactic."  As basic as it is and perhaps widely acknowledged, Voegelin's insight here seems difficult for most readers of FQ to hang onto when talking about them.  The whole of Section II of his "Notes" is available on Google, as is, apparently, the rest of this very short piece written in 1944. It comes from Vol 33 of his collected works, from the volume titled "The Drama of Humanity and Other Miscellaneous Papers, 1939 - 1985." That was the search term I found it by; I think this link will go to it. Sec II starts on pg 34:
Screen
          reader users: click this link for accessible mode. Accessible
          mode has the same essential features but works better with
          your reader.

http://books.google.com/books?id=55mZCPhTtGoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ViewAPI#v=onepage&q&f=true