At the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/07/ts-eliot-guilt-desire-rebellion-respectability

   TS Eliot: guilt, desire and rebellion at respectability

   Eliot's revolt from duty, and Unitarian virtue and philosophy,
   can, in part, be blamed on a culture of repression and ignorance

   Roz Kaveney
   theguardian.com, Monday 7 April 2014

The lead:

We are so used to thinking of the glum, austere person that Eliot spent most
of his life turning himself into that it sometimes takes an effort of will
and imagination to remember that he was once young and deeply confused. Most
talented people suffer all their lives from imposter syndrome – the feeling
that they cannot really be as gifted as people tell them they are, and as a
mixture of self-worth and vanity sometimes tells them they are. Religion –
particularly that strain in Christianity that tells us we are all miserable
sinners from our birth – is not much help with this, or with a tendency to
depression.

There was a side of Eliot that felt guilty about being a poet at all, let
alone the poet that he became. ...