I had a mate who was an engineer. He was pretty concrete in his thinking
except he felt that Chaucer's Prioress referring to the virgin as the
"white lylye flour" was making imaginative connection with cooking
flour.  He was cruelly rebuffed by one of our number with "are you
suggesting that the prioress thinks the virgin is a cake?"
I suppose you can take what you want from anything that's written but
society can be cruel I fear.

Cheers pete