From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of R [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: no bird sighting report - FYI cat predation findings

Recently I've notice 3 - 4 cats in our yard and roaming our neighborhood. I did a little research (See below). If you have roaming cats in your neighborhood, alert your city managers or council members to this problem. Dealing directly with your neighbors may lead to unpleasantries (See further below).

In a report that scaled up local surveys and pilot studies to national dimensions, scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that domestic cats in the United States — both the pet Fluffies that spend part of the day outdoors and the unnamed strays and ferals that never leave it — kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals a year, most of them native mammals like shrews, chipmunks and voles. - “That Cuddly kitty of yours” NYTimes

A University of Nebraska study from 2010 states that cats have been responsible for the extinction of 33 bird species worldwide.

IMHO: When people start viewing their pets as their children, the issue becomes more difficult to solve. Who can deny one's children the same rights as anyone else's? For example, in today's Post-Dispatch (3-23-14; H1) the title of an article reads, Helping pet parents with end-of-life care. The article's first sentence: "My husband and I are parents to a bouncing 23-pound Boston terrier."

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO