Greetings,

Since at least as early as March 6 a minimum of two Harris's Sparrows persist at Saline Valley Conservation Area near the marsh pond of Rock Hole Road off Hwy M. It was again near the parking lot and just up the road from the cattail filled smaller pond (on right of entering the parking area) where there was a strong concentration (easy 40+) of White-throated Sparrows, a few Fox and Am. Tree Sparrows.

The two Harris's Sparrows are beginning to develop their "five o-clock shadow" transitioning more into breeding plumage.

Song Sparrows calling from all directions; Northern Cardinals trilling unseen from within tangles; chip notes and leaves rustling from the birds scratching around foraging for their next snack made it for a relatively (but welcomed) noisy day afield!

Turkey Vultures are beginning to filter back into the area in groups of ten or more.

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."   JOHN MUIR