Mark Paradise and I started bright and early today, 15 March, at BK Leach - King's Lake Unit (Lincoln County) where 3 SHORT-EARED OWLS were in flight at about 6:45 AM near the entrance from Hwy M.  Tons of waterfowl to pick through there, including our first of year WOOD DUCKS and BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  Couldn't find any Brewer's Blackbirds, but did have 98 RUSTY'S.

From there we headed south to Riverlands Mig. Bird Sanctuary (St. Charles County).  The number of LESSER SCAUP in Ellis Bay is incredible, our guesstimate was 3500.  Lots of other waterfowl also, but could not find the White-winged Scoter Charlene reported earlier this week.  The first-cycle GLAUCOUS GULL continued in Ellis Bay across from Wise Road.  More surprising, and what I believe to be the latest Missouri record by one day, was a 2nd-cycle THAYER'S GULL in Ellis Bay, sitting on the mudflat across and just a little down river of Heron Pond.

Photos can be seen here, along with a brief description of fieldmarks in my eBird checklist:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17442220  I am sure there are way more birds at RMBS than the numbers in this checklist indicates.

Dave Becher made us aware that the AMERICAN PIPITS and AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS continued at Columbia Bottom CA (St. Louis County), so we zoomed over there where we found 18 AMERICAN PIPITS and 6 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS. Pipits were in the same spot as the Snow Bunting a few weeks ago (the gravel road in the back along the levee), whereas the Golden-Plovers were in the cut grass (south side of road) between parking lots H and I.

I am SURE I have missed something.

Good Birding,
Josh

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Missouri Bird Records:  www.showme-birds.com

________________________________
 From: Charlene Malone <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 10:21 PM
Subject: St. L birds 3/14

St. Louis co.
The RED-NECKED GREBE was still at Creve Couer
Lake on Pi Day, 3.14.14

St. Charles co.
Not as many ducks at RMBS as previous days, but decent gull roost.
Got there when it was too dark to really sort through stuff.
But guess Lane Richter had at least one Golden Plover.

Lost Valley
Phoebes, Savannah Sparrows, Kingfisher and R-S Hawk.

Nitie-nite......zzzzzzzz
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.

---