I've been seeing reports here of a dearth of woodcocks at some of the St. Louis sites.  Just as balance, I should point out that woodcocks have been pretty plentiful
down here lately.

I contacted Cari Sebright at University of Arkansas, who posted here wanting participants in a study of woodcock migration ([log in to unmask]), and got the instructions and data sheet from her.  I've been out counting them three times in the few weeks, all three trips before sunrise.

Twice I went to Maintz Conservation Area, where I heard 9 individuals displaying on 2/22, and 21 individuals on 3/1 (that second trip was driving around the perimeter of the CA and stopping every .4 mile).  Then this Saturday I drove a county road near my home in Pocahontas before dawn and heard a total of 8.   So they are definitely out there peenting, whistling, and cackling.

If you're near Cape Girardeau county, my best recommendation for woodcocks would be at parking lot #5 in Maintz Conservation Area, on County Road 471.  Map available at the MDC site (http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=7712).

-Allen Gathman
Pocahontas, MO (Cape Girardeau County)