A visiting Illinois birder first reported these, and called me, in about 1996. Locals indicated the birds had been nesting at least a year earlier in Delta. Many others found them in subsequent days in Delta.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

________________________________
 From: Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Eurasian collared doves

Chalk that up to a faulty memory on my part--It may be that the boys from Jackson were the reporters of those first birds in Delta--somewhere in the mists of my mind there is a connection, corroded though it be.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

On Mar 5, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Ida wrote:

My first recollection of Eurasian Collared Doves was in Delta, MO, rather than Jackson.  When they first appeared here, that’s where we were sent to get a look at them.  The first pair found stayed, as you mentioned, close to the railroad tracks that run alongside the highway in Delta and were not difficult to find usually, though I recall missing them on my first attempt and having to go back for a second, successful try.  If the first recorded report came from Jackson, my guess would be that was a later pair.  I know that, at the time, relationships between southeast Missouri birders and state record-keepers were a bit uneasy, and the first pair might not have been reported or, if it was, it was discounted.

>Ida Domazlicky
>Cape Girardeau County

Yes, Delta, MO was where I first saw the Eurasian collared Doves. Jerri Davis and I went there after a spring ASM that was at Mingo (Mingo,as well as I can remember without checking my records). I remember Ron K.?, a well-known Kansas birder was also there looking for the doves. Jerri and I found a nest and later saw them at another location in Delta. My notes say, "April 26, 1998, Delta, MO. Nesting, 2 young. Adult perched on horizontal bar of telephone pole. Saw white edging on black ring on hind neck." Well, guess that is what I saw, but not much of a documentation. And I did not document them as I assumed that it had been done since I was just starting in the ASM. "See", Edge would say, "you don't assume documentation has been done", however I did assume. The first time  I saw the ECDO in our yard in Kearney was March 6, 2006.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay

From: Ida