Please find below the Call for Papers for the 16th Annual Conference of the
German and Dutch Graduate Student Association at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison. This year we will explore the theme "Taking out the
Trash: Assessing and Re-assessing Value in German and Dutch Studies." Our
conference will examine literal and metaphorical trash as it pertains to
German and Dutch Cultural Studies, Literature, Linguistics, and Second
Language Acquisition.

We are excited to welcome Dr. Heather L. Sullivan of Trinity University as
our keynote speaker, whose work on ecocriticism, the environmental
humanities, and international climate change novels will add greatly to our
discussion on "trash" in relation to German and Dutch studies.

The conference will take place in Madison, Wisconsin, on October 17-18,
2014.

See the Call for Papers below and our conference website (
http://gdgsaconference.german.wisc.edu/) for more information.

We look forward to receiving your abstracts and answering any questions you
may have.

On behalf of the GDGSA Conference Committee, I thank you in advance for
distributing this widely.

Sincerely,
Emily Heidrich

*The 16th Annual Conference of the German and Dutch Graduate Student
Association at the University of Wisconsin-Madison*

*Taking out the Trash*
*Assessing and Re-assessing Value in German and Dutch Studies*
*October 17-18, 2014*

Keynote Speaker: Dr. Heather L. Sullivan, Trinity University

*Call for Papers*

         Trash has become the object of political and environmental
concerns: How can we produce less waste?  How can we recycle refuse?
 German and Dutch speaking countries are particularly mindful when dealing
with trash.  Each item requires brief analysis before it is sorted: should
it be recycled, remolded, recirculated, or discarded?

            That seemingly straightforward process of separating trash is
entrenched in awareness and judgments regarding the intrinsic value of the
items which are being sorted.  More recent research on value constructs in
relation to trash was influenced by Michael Thompson's Rubbish Theory
(1979): trash depicts what is being discarded, and at the same time
something that may be reused, reinvested, revalued.  Examining German and
Dutch Studies through the lens of the trash analogy will allow us to
further explore attitudes and opinions within these fields and understand
how objects of inquiry such as tropes, linguistic features, etc. are
circulated, thrown away, or reclaimed in the studies related to the German
and Dutch speaking world.

            Our conference aims to examine literal and metaphorical trash
as it pertains to German and Dutch Studies.  The questions that can serve
as a starting point for a reflection on trash in German and Dutch Cultural
Studies, Literature, Linguistics, and Second Language Acquisition include,
but are not limited to:

*Literature*
-          How can the concept of trash shed light on the circulation of
tropes and topoi in the literary space? How can they be "recycled" in other
media, such as movies, documentaries and radio plays?  How are the concepts
related to trash (e.g. dirt, contamination, or various German terms for
trash - Müll, Abfall, etc.) represented in literature?

*Linguistics*
-          Which linguistic features have been "thrown away" in the course
of language change and which features have been reclaimed by other
languages?

*Second Language Acquisition*
-          Some research, upon first glance, may look like trash.  What is
the value of research which may not appear to be useful but later yields
important insights to a study?  What pedagogical ideas might be considered
"trash?"

*Cultural Studies / Ecology*
-          Germany has become a leading figure in Europe in developing and
in using green energy.  How has the green movement of this country
influenced the world? How does this topic raise the problem of describing
what is contagious, dangerous, and untouchable?

*Submission Guidelines*
The primary language of this conference will be English, but submissions in
German or Dutch are also welcome. Abstracts for single or multi-authored 20
minute presentations should be no more than 300 words and are due by April
15, 2014.  Submissions should not include the presenter's name. Please
include the following as a separate attachment: name, title of paper,
department and university affiliation, address, phone number, and e-mail
address. Please submit your abstracts to Emily Heidrich at
[log in to unmask] Notifications of acceptance will be sent to
participants in May. For further details on the conference, keynote
speaker, and accommodations (including the option to stay with UW-Madison
graduate students), please see our conference website:
http://gdgsaconference.german.wisc.edu/