A final reminder of the upcoming deadline (March 15) for the Women in German 2014 panel: "The 'Fair Sex' and the 'Dark Continent': German-Speaking Women Writing about Africa."

This panel will explore the intersections between race and gender, power, privilege and oppression in the work of German-speaking women who write about Africa. Women writers have encountered and written about Africa in both fiction and nonfiction for centuries in the form of novels, fairy tales, travelogues, colonial memoirs, and missionary literature. This panel seeks to investigate how these women writers used constructions of Africa and Africans in their writing and how Africa could serve as an opportunity to escape constricting gender roles or to enact colonial fantasies. We will tackle the question of whether women, as members of an oppressed group, show tolerance, solidarity, or racist and colonial attitudes toward members of other oppressed groups. We invite proposals for papers that deal with any aspect of women's writing about Africa from before the First World War. We are particularly interested in papers that explore race outside of colonial contexts, the relation of race and gender to each other and to other categories such as class, religion, and sexuality, and little-studied or little-known works that complicate our understandings of race and gender in pre-20th Century Germany or German-speaking countries.

Please send 1-page abstracts to both panel organizers, Maureen Gallagher ([log in to unmask]) and Rob McFarland ([log in to unmask]) by March 15, 2014.