A final reminder of the upcoming deadline (March 15) for the Women in
German 2014 panel: "The 'Fair Sex' and the 'Dark Continent':
German-Speaking Women Writing about Africa."

This panel will explore the intersections between race and gender, power,
privilege and oppression in the work of German-speaking women who write
about Africa. Women writers have encountered and written about Africa in
both fiction and nonfiction for centuries in the form of novels, fairy
tales, travelogues, colonial memoirs, and missionary literature.
This panel seeks to investigate how these women writers used constructions
of Africa and Africans in their writing and how Africa could serve as an
opportunity to escape constricting gender roles or to enact colonial
fantasies. We will tackle the question of whether women, as members of an
oppressed group, show tolerance, solidarity, or racist and colonial
attitudes toward members of other oppressed groups. We invite proposals for
papers that deal with any aspect of women's writing about Africa from
before the First World War. We are particularly interested in papers that
explore race outside of colonial contexts, the relation of race and gender
to each other and to other categories such as class, religion, and
sexuality, and little-studied or little-known works that complicate our
understandings of race and gender in pre-20th Century Germany or
German-speaking countries.

Please send 1-page abstracts to both panel organizers, Maureen Gallagher (
[log in to unmask]) and Rob McFarland ([log in to unmask]) by March 15,
2014.