Mallards often can be seen field feeding by the thousands. This is not unusual--especially when it is cold and they feed on corn for the energy it contains.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

________________________________
 From: Stephen Reese <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:04 PM
Subject: Mallard behavior

I was driving home from school last Thursday (I've been out of town all weekend.) and noticed hundreds, if not thousands, of Canada Geese in a large field southwest of 7 highway and 150 highway.  What I had never seen (perhaps noticed?) before were Mallard ducks standing in the same field.  The ducks were closest to highway 7 and standing near the geese while browsing through the cut corn field.  Is this unusual or have I just never noticed ducks standing/feeding in a field before?

Also, on my way back from Arkansas I was 10 White Pelicans circling over Truman Lake.  Spring is near.

Steve Reese
Lee's Summit, Mo.