Reporting on St. Louis Audubon trip to Carlyle yesterday.  I'm trying to get this out quickly in case anyone wishes to get there today (Sunday).  Full list in follow-up message.  I assume everyone knows how to get to Carlyle (see my directions in trip description last Sunday).

To see the gulls and waterfowl, go east past McDonald's, bear right, go past the marina, the beach, and the west end of the dam, and at the bottom of the hill turn left.  This road takes you to a parking lot right at the spillway, with stairs up to the top of the dam.

At the top of the dam, be a little bit slow and cautious as the waterfowl are densely packed right ahead of you in the small remaining water pool.  You can scope at leisure and at very close range, for excellent looks at everything.  The gulls will be there and also spread out at greater distances on the ice.

Waterfowl we had yesterday:

Common Goldeneye
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Canvasback
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Mallard
Am. Black Duck
Gadwall
All 3 merganser species
White-winged Scoter (2)
Long-tailed Duck (1)
Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Snow Goose

Gulls we had yesterday, among the abundant Ring-bills & Herrings, included

Great Black-backed Gull (2, one adult & one 1st cycle)
Glaucous Gull (1, 1st cycle)
Iceland Gull (2, 1st cycle)
Iceland/Thayer's Gull (1, 1st cycle)
Lesser Black-backed Gull (at least 3: one adult, one 3-4th cycle, one 2nd cycle; probably some 1st-cycle birds there too but couldn't nail one)

Bill Rowe
St. Louis