I found a pair of Bell's Vireo year before last on a well-traveled road just outside Kearney. There was a small growth of Rough-Leaf Dogwood along the fence row and I was driving slowly and heard the vireo sing. These small, thicket-growing "bushes" is a favorite for Bell Vireo nesting, and in early May one can often locate this species by ear from the car. Sure hope someone hasn't "cleaned up" this road bank!

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Edge Wade
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: Bells Vireos

Lester,

I share your sense of loss.  I have had a similar experience--twice.  Once when a fence row  was cleared in a city park, and then when the utility company clear cut beneath transmission lines in a state park.  Bell's  are such fun birds--it's worth looking hard for that "just right" habitat.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO