Yesterday, I got my first look at a rough legged hawk while at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary. That was the bird i was hoping to see. I believe it was a male by the Sibley field guide description. He was hovering over the fields west of teal pond. He would also sit atop the power lines, I guess looking for a meal.

Very little open water at RMBS. There was mostly golden eyes , common mergansers, and Canada geese in the open water. There were a few trumpeter swans, not the hundreds as last month. Saw a few bald eagles, one red head and some gulls.

Scott Miller
Leslie, MO