Report for Sat Feb 8, 2014

Sorry for the late report...

On the way to join the Audubon field trip to Baldwin/Peabody Sat morning I made a quick stop to look at the upstream end of Ellis Bay.  1 PEREGRINE FALCON was standing near the very top of the Alton-side tower of the Clark bridge.

Further down my route I passed a different-looking buteo perched roadside right where the Cahokia Diversion Canal intersects Ill hwy 255 in Madison Cnty.  I double-backed and took up a vantage point on the opposite shoulder.  The bird was a light morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, apparently a juvenile, based on Wheeler.  Had a really nice, close look at a beautiful hawk.  The bird flew away from me along the tree line, but stopped within view.  I had a feeling that the bird might stay in the area for awhile.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO