My upside down suet feeder hangs from a shepherd pole on the deck. It's great to see close-ups of the Hairy, Downy, Red-bellied, N. Flicker. But the starlings can hang for a bit and if not, they wait below for the others to knock some suet out. The WB Nuthatch feeds upside down and the Chickadees have eyed the whole thing with interest, especially after I left a few crumbs on the rail when refilling. So I scraped some suet off with millet in a special tray on the deck floor--the Juncos love that also. I have had a Caroline Wren feed upside down but not this year.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay Co.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Susan Eaton
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Upside Down Carolina Wren

  Years ago, I had an upside down suet feeder for the same reason, but my Starlings figured out how to hang upside down eventually.  I was hoping there was no connection between a learned skill and genetic changes......would hate to think I was responsible for the development of a super race of Starlings......

  Susan Eaton
  Kirkwood, St Louis CO, MO