From: Michael Thelen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:35 PM
Subject: Bird Mortality -- No Sightings

Our hard winter is taking its toll.  I found two dead wild birds today, both
on sidewalks.  Early this morning it was an adult White-throated Sparrow,
lying next to an industrial plant parking lot.  The bird was frozen solid.
Late this afternoon it was an adult Carolina Wren, on my front walk, of all
places, also frozen.  The sparrow was skinny, but the wren was emaciated,
the body and feathers intact, but its skeleton palpable and right eye
missing.  It wasn't there this morning.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO