Hi Lori,

I probably bird the Albert area as much as anyone, except maybe Kathleen Anderson. I spent an afternoon there in January -- back when the weather was warm! The birds were nothing special on that day, with a pretty normal mixture of winter sparrows being the main attraction.

The area is definitely more interesting during migration and in the early nesting season. It attracts a pretty good mix of grassland and wetland birds, with Bell's Vireo and Henslow's Sparrow probably being the most sought-after species. Blue Grosbeak, Orchard Oriole, Yellow-breasted Chat and Tree Swallow are also pretty reliable residents.

If you have read the description of this area on the Columbia Audubon Society website, you know that access is rather difficult. You need a key to drive in past two gates into the center of the area, although if you are and Audubon member (and are familiar with the area) it is okay to park on Zaring Road and walk into the area.

I plan to lead a CAS field trip to the Albert area the spring, sometime in April or May. I haven't talked to Kevin W about picking a date, but I will do so soon. It will be announced on the CAS webpage and the Chat newsletter.

John