Back on Feb. 2, I thought I saw a male Purple Finch on the bubbler cam while at
my desk. Couldn't find that bird again, so I figured I may have been mistaken. On
Feb. 11, I saw a female Purple Finch on the lower feeder and was able to some
photos of it. Haven't seen it since. I'm quite sure that this is my first winter
sighting of one here. Usually will have them in migration.

Yesterday, I braved the 8 degrees and went out to photograph the two American
Tree Sparrows that have been around when a third one popped out of the
buttonbush. This was not a typical adult, and I was able to get some photos. Will
post a link later. I've been spreading a finch mix under two buttonbushes and the
birds love to be able to hop up onto the low, twiggy branches and take cover or
warm their feet. At least 10 species of birds have been attracted to this 'covered
feeder.'

Yesterday, we both distinctly heard a Red-winged Blackbird calling thanks to the
baby monitor that brings the bird sounds inside, but never saw it. Late in the
afternoon, a flock of 30+ American Robins descended into the areas where snow
had melted and leaf litter was available for their frantic foraging. They seem
humiliated to have to resort to eating seed, although they have taken mealworms.

There are two Rusty Blackbirds that continue to come in at different times. Just a
few minutes ago, a first year Coopers Hawk flew in and disrupted the feeding. I've
been seeing an average 25 species a day.

I would be so happy to see all of these return over the GBBC weekend!

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO