Hi Lori,

I probably bird the Albert area as much as anyone, except maybe Kathleen
Anderson. I spent an afternoon there in January -- back when the weather
was warm! The birds were nothing special on that day, with a pretty normal
mixture of winter sparrows being the main attraction.

The area is definitely more interesting during migration and in the early
nesting season. It attracts a pretty good mix of grassland and wetland
birds, with Bell's Vireo and Henslow's Sparrow probably being the most
sought-after species. Blue Grosbeak, Orchard Oriole, Yellow-breasted Chat
and Tree Swallow are also pretty reliable residents.

If you have read the description of this area on the Columbia Audubon
Society website, you know that access is rather difficult. You need a key
to drive in past two gates into the center of the area, although if you are
and Audubon member (and are familiar with the area) it is okay to park on
Zaring Road and walk into the area.

I plan to lead a CAS field trip to the Albert area the spring, sometime in
April or May. I haven't talked to Kevin W about picking a date, but I will
do so soon. It will be announced on the CAS webpage and the Chat newsletter.

John

--
John Besser
Columbia MO