To everyone who might have planned to join the "Riverlands etc." trip this Saturday, Feb. 1:

Due to predictions of bad weather for Saturday (freezing rain in the morning), Mike Grant and I have agreed to postpone this trip by one day, to SUNDAY, FEB. 2.  Predictions for that day are cold but OK.

Sorry if this creates difficulties for anyone, but you can imagine the difficulties of trying to bird in a cold rain, especially if the roads are bad.

If you know of any folks who were planning to come on Saturday and may not be  regular readers of this list, please let them know.

Below, I am repeating the time and place and other information, which will be exactly as before except for the one-day postponement.

WHAT:     St. Louis area field trip, full day, sponsored by St. Louis Audubon Society.

WHEN:     Sunday, February 2 (3 days from now)

WHERE:   Meet at Teal Pond parking lot, Riverlands.  From the north side of I-270 in north St. Louis County, take MO-367 north (signed to Alton).  Cross the Missouri River and continue past the stoplight at MO-94.  Just before you reach the bridge over the Mississippi to Alton, turn right at the gas station. Go straight past the station to the intersection with Wise Road, just beyond the pond; turn right there and go a short distance to the parking lot.

MEETING TIME:   8:00 a.m.  I will be there early to scout around; feel free to look for me along Riverlands Way or down at the dam.  I will get back to Teal Pond by 8:00 to meet everyone.

TENTATIVE PLAN:   The itinerary will be flexible.  We will consolidate cars as best we can and proceed to a series of vantage points around the Riverlands area.  This might include the Illinois side, and/or the road to Confluence State Park, or the Cora Island unit of the Big Muddy National Wildlife Refuge.  Around noon we will head to a fast-food lunch, and for those who wish to continue, we will proceed to Columbia Bottom CA.

WHO:   Everyone is welcome, whether a member of St. Louis Audubon Society or not.  Out-of-towners are invited!

CONDITIONS:  Please dress appropriately for whatever weather is predicted.  I expect that the river and the ponds will remain somewhat as they were this weekend -- iced up but with some patches of open water, a mix that generally means a good variety of waterfowl and gulls and generally good viewing conditions.

LEADERS:  Possibly one or two other members of the leader group will join me in leading this one.

Bill Rowe
St. Louis