Eleven participants spent a blustery Sunday morning birding Long Branch State Park. We started out at the Visitors Center where the conditions seemed pleasant, but once we got out in the open near the lake, a cold wind did blow and blow. We scanned the rip-rap between the dam and the shoreline, but there was no sign of the Snowy Owl.

We also walked out on the jetty (yep, more wind) near the marina in hopes of seeing Snow Buntings. No Snow Buntings, but we had a nice view of a Bald Eagle standing on the ice. Next, we headed over to the campground where we saw two more Bald Eagles including a nice immature on the ice. Way out in the lake were two female Common Mergansers showing off their red hairdos. In the woods near the campground shoreline we had a flock of six Purple Finch with two males showing off their purple hairdos. (amazing how all those hairdos withstood the gusts)

Around Noon we drove over to Macon City Lake where there was more protection from the wind. Highlights there were two Common Goldeneye, a Red-headed Woodpecker and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. After birding, we had a tasty comfort food lunch at the Star 63 Family Restaurant in Macon. Full species list below.

Long Branch SP:
Canada Goose
Common Merganser
Great Blue Heron