Sorry Clark, but did you actually read the article?  I could have said that Lesser Prairie Chickens, and ALL federally protected migratory birds and wildlife, are under attack by the political powers that rule Kansas.  That way, I’m just stating a non-partisan fact instead of revealing my honest disgust.  The fact that all those politicians are of a certain political party is what it is.

As for using a wide brush to dictate what does or does not belong on a statewide bird listserv, please recall that ASM is a conservation organization with an emphasis on birds.  Where the welfare of birds are concerned, there are no sacred cows.  I’m sorry if it’s hard to reconcile your opposing beliefs, but when politicians of a certain political persuasion are the sole cause of a specific problem that adversely affects birds, they deserve to be called-out.  Period.

This forum is about Missouri birds – not Kansas birds, but the lesson has no boundaries.  I bird both sides of the state line just as many in St. Louis bird IL, too.  Neighboring states’ laws that ultimately affect MO birds and birders is part of this forum, and mostly about the organization as a whole.  Historic Lesser Prairie Chicken range kissed the SW border of MO.  Whooping Cranes migrate through central KS and occasionally stray to western MO – they are targeted by this political agenda in Kansas.  If Eskimo Curlew still exists, it would migrate through KS – another target.

I have no further comment except to say it’s very disappointing to have purported ‘birders’ siding with an obvious enemy of the birds.  Read the article – if it doesn’t turn your stomach, you’re no conservationist and you’re certainly no birdwatcher.

Chris Hobbs

Lenexa, KS