Eleven participants spent a blustery Sunday morning birding Long Branch
State Park. We started out at the Visitors Center where the conditions
seemed pleasant, but once we got out in the open near the lake, a cold wind
did blow and blow. We scanned the rip-rap between the dam and the
shoreline, but there was no sign of the Snowy Owl.

We also walked out on the jetty (yep, more wind) near the marina in hopes
of seeing Snow Buntings. No Snow Buntings, but we had a nice view of a Bald
Eagle standing on the ice. Next, we headed over to the campground where we
saw two more Bald Eagles including a nice immature on the ice. Way out in
the lake were two female Common Mergansers showing off their red hairdos.
In the woods near the campground shoreline we had a flock of six
Purple Finch with two males showing off their purple hairdos. (amazing how
all those hairdos withstood the gusts)

Around Noon we drove over to Macon City Lake where there was more
protection from the wind. Highlights there were two Common Goldeneye, a
Red-headed Woodpecker and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. After birding, we had
a tasty comfort food lunch at the Star 63 Family Restaurant in Macon. Full
species list below.

Long Branch SP:
Canada Goose
Common Merganser