Just getting around to responding to the Lapland Longspur discussion - sorry for the delay.

Just a quick note from "The Lazy Birder".

While not "winter" observations, I did hear several Lapland Longspurs calling in flight overhead while in the woods this fall and into late November in my deer stand. They seemed to call fairly regular in early to mid morning, but I don't recall hearing the calls in the afternoon/evening hours.

The in flight call I've come to know is a "rattle" and/or a sharp, high descending single note. The closest recording I can find online (with limited time) can be found at the link below - the very first recording.

http://birds.audubon.org/birds/lapland-longspur

Maybe this will help some recognize this species when they pass overhead - regardless of time of year.

Good birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."   JOHN MUIR

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/