The one I saw in the north-central corner of Bradford two weeks ago, clearly had the eye within the black “mask”, with black above the bill, and not a noticeably large bill.  I felt confident that the one I saw was a Loggerhead. Would be great to know that there are two shrikes in the area.

Jean Leonatti

Columbia, MO

Boone County

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brad Jacobs
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Northern Shrike at Bradford Farm Boone County.

I was checking the SW corner of Bradford Farm this morning to see the Loggerhead Shrike, and found a Northern Shrike in the same place. I can see how this bird might be confused with a Northern Shrike. The Loggerhead may still be out there.

This bird has a large bill with a hook at the end, a light base to the lower m axilla, wavy lines across the breast (hard to see), the eye is bordered above by gray, and there is no black over the front of the head above the bill.

I have some pictures I can send you on request.

Bradford Farm:   4968 Rangeline Road,  Columbia, MO about 7 miles east of Columbia, Boone co.

http://aes.missouri.edu/bradford/contact.php

Brad

Brad Jacobs

Missouri Department of Conservation