I thought I would share a few thoughts on the issue of birds at political boundaries.

I'm not much of a "lister" myself and although I personally don't care whether a bird is on one side or another of some boundary which the birds themselves are unaware of, it's worth remembering that eBird was developed as a citizen science project.  As a graduate student in Biology, I have come across a number of publications resulting from eBird data and for such studies it probably matters considerably whether rare or unusual birds are "counted" in the correct areas (especially at places like RMBS where this would be a recurring issue).

I began using eBird because it neatly compiles/organizes my sightings and provides me with information on recent sightings by other birders.  In return, I'm willing to jump through a few extra hoops in the interest of data quality (like providing detailed comments even when I'm certain on an ID, putting more effort into making exact counts, or reporting separate checklists when I see a few species just outside a birding hotspot).  It's pretty amazing how much we can learn about birds from the multitudes of birders across the world sharing their sightings!

Best Wishes,

Grant Connette
Columbia, MO