I thought I would share a few thoughts on the issue of birds at political
boundaries.

I'm not much of a "lister" myself and although I personally don't care
whether a bird is on one side or another of some boundary which the birds
themselves are unaware of, it's worth remembering that eBird was developed
as a citizen science project.  As a graduate student in Biology, I have
come across a number of publications resulting from eBird data and for such
studies it probably matters considerably whether rare or unusual birds are
"counted" in the correct areas (especially at places like RMBS where this
would be a recurring issue).

I began using eBird because it neatly compiles/organizes my sightings and
provides me with information on recent sightings by other birders.  In
return, I'm willing to jump through a few extra hoops in the interest of
data quality (like providing detailed comments even when I'm certain on an
ID, putting more effort into making exact counts, or reporting separate
checklists when I see a few species just outside a birding hotspot).  It's
pretty amazing how much we can learn about birds from the multitudes of
birders across the world sharing their sightings!

Best Wishes,

Grant Connette
Columbia, MO

--
Grant Connette

Ph.D. Candidate
212 Tucker Hall
Division of Biological Sciences
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211-7400

ASM Spring Meeting: May 2-4, 2014 in Jefferson City