I remember years ago during an ice storm we had many house and purple finches show up with no tails, the speculation
by Jim D Wilson was that they did indeed freeze their tails off in the ice storm.

Julie Lundsted
Jefferson City, MO

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 10:00:46 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Feeder Birds this morning St. Joe
To: [log in to unmask]

I suspect he froze his tail off . . .

Chris Hobbs

Lenexa, KS

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Zellmer
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 9:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

We have two Carolina Wrens coming to our feeders for the past two to three weeks. The interesting thing about it is that one has a nice long tail and the other absolutely has NO tail at all. I mean no tail! If this is a molt thing, then wouldn't the other Carolina Wren be showing signs of a molt as well?

Jim Zellmer

Blue Springs, MO