Some notable birds at Riverlands today. At around 3:45PM, a merlin (looked like a prairie population to me) was hunting around Riverlands Way and Wise Rd (Teal Pond area). It perched on just about every sign in the area, some for many minutes. Thanks to a tip from Crissy and Andrew, I found two short-eared owls in the fields at the Cora Island refuge.

The most surprising bird was an American Bittern, which I flushed while walking the fields at Cora Island. Reminded me of the bittern that was found on Dec 31, the same day that the Ross's Gull was found at Riverlands years ago.

Cheers,

Rad Widmer
St. Louis