As Larry observed, Red-tailed Hawks do indeed hover, much like their buteo cousins,  Rough-legged Hawks.  Perhaps we notice it more in winter.

The Columbia Wednesday CACHE trip went a day early and spent the morning at Reform CA in Callaway Co.  The thirty species were a good mix--nothing spectacular/unusual, but decent looks at a good variety for starting at 3 degrees F.  Many Yellow-rumped Warblers, 549 robins mostly feeding on the abundant cedar berry crop, sparrows scratching in ice-free patches.

The crystal-like ice coating on all surfaces was truly beautiful in the clear sunlight.  Ice drops everywhere were tiny prisms, refracting sun rays and becoming miniature Christmas lights on grasses, shrubs, cedars and bare trees.  It was a beautiful day--the lighting effects even distracted our eyes from the search for birds.  And those birds, when found, were going about their business of finding food, watching for peril, and making the best of a cold but bountiful array.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO