For the past couple of months a charming, red morph E. screech owl fairly regularly chooses to spend his day resting in a hole right outside of my front door.  The problem he has caused is with two R-h Woodpeckers whom I am betting were raised in that hole late this Summer (well after the Wood Ducks had finished using it as their family dwelling).  The first time the owl did this the two juvenile woodpeckers raised a ruckus all day long, joined by the rest of the neighborhood regulars.  Adorable watching them alternately looking down the hole at the interloper.  This is still a pretty regular occurrence here.  These woodpeckers are migratory and I believe they have been traumatized by this owl and never left.  Today is one of those special times I get to hear all this going on.

Clare Wheeler
Lake Ozark
Camden County