Hey all,

My inlaws are in town for the holidays and I took my birding instigator father-
in-law down to Katy Trail/EBCA to look for the Golden Eagle this afternoon.  By
happy chance, we met up with Jean Leonatti on the way to Wetland Cell #2
(the one south on the Katy Trail from McBaine).

Definite sightings:
Bald Eagles - 1 adult & 2 immature
Golden Eagle - 1 {maybe}
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Sandhill Cranes - 3 seeming adults
Gadwall - dozens
Mallards - hundreds
Green-winged Teal - dozens
American Wigeon - 1 immature female
Marsh Wren - 2
White-Throated Sparrow - 7
White-Crowned Sparrow - 3
Song Sparrow - 1
American Tree Sparrow - 1
Yellow-Rumped Warbler - 4-5
Dark-eyed Junco - 3
Tufted Titmouse/Black-Capped Chickadee - dozens
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet - 1

The "Golden" Eagle may have been an immature Baldy.  We saw three "dark"
eagles and at least 1 mature Baldy along with a nest just south of the Wetland
Cell #2.  The first "dark" eagle may have been the Golden, but it came in from
behind us while we were waiting and looking the opposite direction at the
Wetland Cell and we didn't get any good pictures of it.  We have reason to
believe it was not mottled like the immature Baldies, but there's no reason to
say 100% it was a Golden Eagle.  We'll be back out there to confirm for sure.
There's too much at stake to leave anything to chance.

Cheers and good birding in the remainders of 2013 we have left.......

-Chase (and Phil)
Columbia, Boone Co., MO