CALL FOR PAPERS

For the: Women in German 39th Annual Conference 2014

Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, Shawnee on Delaware, PA Oct. 23-26

Deadline: March 1, 2014

Re-Defining German Studies and The Positionality of German Scholars from A Place of Power

In the face of departments being eliminated or reduced to programs, the identity of German scholars and teachers in the academy is challenged. Moreover, in many cases it is a daily fight for survival as a Germanist. In these attempts to survive, we face the pressure and the challenge of producing a certain number of majors or otherwise our existence will be thrown into jeopardy by administrators. Simultaneously, the opportunity and funding for the humanities seems to come from digital humanities. However, in addition to real possible contributions of digital humanities to the field it also seems to rationalize our profession away. Colleges and universities may all too easily substitute our role and presence as teachers through moocs and online classes.

How do we take control of this situation and re-define our identities as Germanists in a field that is already interdisciplinary but demands in this situation even more interdisciplinarity. How do we achieve such reódefinition from a place of power and self-confidence and without defining us from a place of Existenzangst?

We are looking for contributions in the form of 5-7 minute presentations of mission statements, addressing these issues and reflecting on personal attempts to address these concerns that derive from creative solutions forged at your home institutions and in your personal lives as they intersect with your professional situation. The session will take the format of a round-table discussion followed by break-out sessions.

Please send a ca. 1-page abstract to both of the panel organizers, Ute Bettray (ute.bettray(AT)uconn.edu) and Anabel Aliaga-Buchenau (aaliagab(AT)uncc.edu), by March 1, 2014.†