Happy thanksgiving folks.

Helen Hewins and I birded Smithville  Lake for about 5 hours.  Not that many ducks on lake and we didn't see any loons and hardly any gulls either.  We decided to try Long and Short Rd off J for sparrows, when Helen spotted a dark raptor soaring overhead.
It was a large dark bird with a white tail and thick dark band on end of tail.  It also had 2 white windows underneath its wings.  In the sunlight you could see its blondish, red, golden head.  Beautiful immature.  We watched it soar towards the river, never seeing it flap, and we watched it a long time!

Happy turkey day!  Unfortunately we didn't see any today.

Nancy Leo
Prairie Village, KS