I don't know if others are having the same experience as I with hundreds of A. Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-rumped Warblers and others on the cedar trees around my place.

Last winter there was next to no natural food due to the drought.  Even the infestation of squirrels left, and they have not returned in previous numbers, thankfully!!

This fall there are acorns, walnuts, winterberry, sumac fruits, and cedar berries in super-abundance. The cedars are blue with berries.

I started noticing several Hermit Thrushes, especially last week.  This week, as the cedar berries have apparently ripened, my yard is alive with Robins, Cedar Waxwings, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  There is no way that I can count the YRWA and the Robins, there are so many.  In the mornings, when the sun hits the east side of the trees, the trees seem alive with birds.  Those mentioned are joined by E. Bluebirds.  Blue Jays noisily harvest the small acorns.  YR Sapsuckers, N. Flickers, Red-bellied, Downy, and Hairy Woodpeckers  hang around as do the usual woodland birds.

Saw my first Purple Finch, a male, this week.
5 Rusty Blackbirds were down by the lake Tuesday.
Also on the lake: Bufflehead (16)
Lesser Scaup (5)
Common Loon, FOS, showed up yesterday.  It's still here.

It's going to be a fun winter!

Judy Bergmann
Rural Bonne Terre
St. Francois Co.

ASM Spring Meeting: May 2-4, 2014 in Jefferson City